Choose Your Own Blog

Monday, March 29, 2010

January 25th, 2002

I was gonna put up two posts, but the next one is pretty large--deals in-depth with the problems of the contract. 

But the gist of the early information was that if the distributor is going to take out expendables from your end, you should be getting at least 70% from the net take AND you need to be able to limit how much they can take out. (otherwise they'll make a million dollars and say they spent a million-five so they still don't owe you)

More detailed stuff in the next post.

January 15th, 2002

    New year.

    Soon after I received their email, I talked to a lady named Toni at Spectrum who offered to email me a contract to license HH.

    The contract offered no advance, which is pretty standard. They offered a 50/50 split. After asking around, a few of the more knowledgeable folk on the filmmaking newsgroup let me know that was a pretty bad split. 70/30 in my favor was a little more standard.

    Without a lawyer, I wasn’t signing anything. I asked around and got a reference to Michael Saleman, an attorney with offices out of LA and Texas. I sent him the contract, and he butchered it.

    So last week, I sent it back to Spectrum with the changes. Now I’m waiting to hear what they’re going to say.

    Personally, I want to get all this shit out of the way and get on with the next movie. On a side note, having some crappy health problems. Pain in my gut, blood tests show liver problems(which my doctor temporarily called hepatitis, then said it might just be a virus moving through), and my back has never been worse.

    I’ve been to the chiropractors twice in two days. I’ll be going back two more times this week. I’m in pretty bad shape for a thirty-one year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment